Thursday, June 17, 2010

E.L.B. Exclusive: Reef Tha Lost Cauze Interview



KALIN: I'm here right now with Reef the Lost Cauze and Reef I just got done listening to your upcoming album Fight Music. I have to say I think this might just be your best album yet. What all went into the album and are you happy with how it turned out?

REEF: Yeah man absolutely. I'm really excited. This isn't so much a solo record as it is a group record. I'm really proud of all the ideas and energy that everyone has brought to the table. I'm excited about some of the guest features we were able to get. Just all around I'm very proud of the album. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does.

KALIN: I seen somewhere that you put two years into this album; is that correct?

REEF: Yeah, I mean we didn't have no set plan. We started recording actually three years ago in late 2007. We took our time with it and decided that after we had a few songs that we really liked that we would make an album.

KALIN: Is there one or a few songs that really stand out to you on the album?

REEF: I'm proud of the records with Kool G Rap and RA The Rugged Man because they're both legends. The fact that they would even be on a song with me really speaks volumes. I love the intro track because it's just me being raw. “Cut You Up” is one of my favorites because it's one of those throw back battle joints. There are a lot of songs that I'm proud of.

KALIN: What's your goal for Fight Music?

REEF: My goal is to get people more aware of what I have going on and to grow as an artist and hopefully have the opportunity to open up some doors that haven't been opened yet. With this album I'm trying to get closer to being established as an artist on a bigger level. That's what I'm really working on right now.

KALIN: You mention trying to grow as an artist and it's easy to see that you really have grown because you're now with Army of Pharaohs which is made up of some of the best underground rappers alive. What's it like being able to work with such legendary rappers on such a consistent basis?

REEF: Aw man we're like one big dysfunctional family. Those are my brothers. It's crazy seeing what they've done on an independent level and being apart of that crew. I take a lot from them not just from a lyrics stand point, but also business wise. It's great to be apart of that and I love it when we all get together and perform and record. It's a dope process.

KALIN: You started out your career by battling other rappers. What would you say your winning percentage is for freestyle battles?

REEF: I was undefeated dog I only lost one and that was because they set me up. The only time I ever technically lost was Scribble Jam 2006 and anyone that watches the tape will see that I got robbed. I came from the battle era man. Anyone that went to school with me knows I'm not just talking shit because I was ripping everyone's head off. I'll still go right now and I'll still be choppin nigga's heads off.

KALIN: I was actually watching some of the Scribble Jam footage before I called you and seen your battle against that fat white guy and I have to say you might just of made him look a little too bad. I felt bad for the poor guy.

REEF: Yeah, well, that's the one I'm talking about. The judges said I lost that round.

KALIN: Are you kidding me? I assumed that was the opening round or something.

REEF: Yeah, they said I lost. Like I said, anyone that watches that footage will say they don't understand how I could of lost that battle. A lot of the judges there had already lost in battles to me so they were salty and trying to get their revenge. That's all that was.

KALIN: When you said you were robbed I figured it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be THAT bad, you know what I'm sayin?

REEF: Nah, nah, that's it. Everyone that watches it knows for a fact that I didn't lose.

KALIN: You were awarded a film scholarship for Philadelphia University of Arts. What lead you to earning that scholarship and then eventually dropping out to focus on your music career?

REEF: Basically man school took all the fun out of it. My passion for film and writing was taken away from me when I went to school. I had to go back to music which is my first love, you know what I'm saying?

KALIN: No doubt. Speaking of Philly, anyone that knows you knows that you are passionate about being from that great city. What does Philadelphia mean to you?

REEF: Philly's home man and it always will be home. I represent every time I'm out no matter where I'm at in the world. I feel like we still have a long way to go as far as the music scene goes, but other than that I'll put our MC's up against any MC's in the world. I'm very proud and excited to be from Philly.

KALIN: I actually write for an MMA magazine and I was in Philly about a year ago covering a fight. The city was great and the fans made for the most exciting live crowd I've ever witnessed.

REEF: Yeah it's a great place man. Like I said before, there's a lot of bullshit that goes down, but it's like that with any city. I'm very proud to be from here.

KALIN: We stood in line for five hours just to get a Philly Cheese Steak from the original store, you know what I'm talking about?

REEF: (laughs) Yeah man, but that one the tourist go to ain't the best. I'll take you to one of these hood places because that's where the best steaks are.

KALIN: One thing I notice while watching your freestyles is that you get very personal and you'll call people out on things as they're doing it. What's it like to be able to create lines like that in your head on the go and here the crowd getting into it?

REEF: I mean it's practice man. Practice makes you perfect. I came up doing that. My whole high school experience was about being able to train your mind to know what you're going to say before you say it. As you finish one line you have to be preparing for the next. That's the accommodation of God given talent and just really working and practicing. I never wanted to be embarrassed by anyone so I always tried to make sure that I was on point especially when it came to battling and freestyling. It also helped me as a writer by taking that mentality of being a freestyle artist and said whatever was going on and allowed me to be open with that while writing songs. So yeah man absolutely.

KALIN: Growing up which artists influenced you and inspired you to get in the rap game?

REEF: It started off with Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, even going back as far as Fresh Prince. There were people doing it big in the late 80's that were from my neighborhood. I would say it started off because of my early favorites like Big Daddy Kane, Nas, Big L, Big Pun, Biggie, I mean I came up in an era where hip-hip was everywhere. Those were the people that I always looked up to. I could never just say that this person was my favorite, but hip-hop in the late 80's to mid 90's the music just took over my life and I'm blessed to be doing this.

KALIN: What's it mean to you that the words you write down on a piece of paper and spit can change peoples lives?

REEF: It's one of those things where when I'm doing it I don't even think like that, but the end result where it transfers from my pen and pad to my listeners ears, I can't even explain to you how that shit feels man. It's beyond words. I had a fan come up to me and had some of my lyrics tattooed on his arm. I almost broke out crying at that shit. A lot of times when things aren't going well financially we tend to get a little discouraged, but it's really more about the people. People will come in and say that one of my songs helped them get through a rough day or that my lyrics helped them see the light. That's the whole point of this shit. I try to do that with my music.

KALIN: Speaking of how your music can change peoples lives, it seems like you don't always see that in mainstream rap. What's your thoughts on mainstream rap music?

REEF: I feel like some people go mainstream because their music makes them popular and I think that some people go mainstream because they make music to make them become mainstream. I feel like people that make music strictly to become mainstream don't have that long of careers and never make an impact. I don't hate on people who start of making music and their music starts to pick up and they become mainstream because there is a big difference. I'm not one of these people that says I don't like any mainstream because I like music that's good. It can be on the underground that nobody has ever heard of or it can be on the radio every day as long as it's a dope song by a dope artist. Ludacris, for example, I think is a lyrical genius...but he's also very mainstream. We as artist and we as fans need to be a little bit more open to allowing people to be successful and not saying that just because they're successful that we can't support their music. I'll never be like that. There's some bad in mainstream rap, but there is also some good. Just like how there is some fuckin horrible underground rap, but there is also some good.

KALIN: Who would you consider to be the top pound for pound mainstream artist out right now?

REEF: It's hard for me to say anyone but Jay-Z. Nobody has come close to doing what Jay-Z has done. He's still here at 40 years old and he is an inspiration to people that are trying to make it. So for me, pound for pound, Jay-Z would have to be number one. People would be surprised that I actually like Rick Ross. I know that he's phony as far as his street cred, but the guy knows how to make great records. I'm a big fan of Jay Electronica who is coming up right now. There are so many great rappers out there right now so it's all about supporting their talent.

KALIN: Do you find that weed or alcohol benefits you while writing lyrics?

REEF: Yeah, absolutely. With alcohol I'm not one of these people that can one and done. I love to drink so it's very rarely that I mix my music with my drinking. Weed is something that eases my mind and helps me open up. Weed is like my little buddy man. It's always going to be something that I go to for inspiration and help. Even when I'm having a bad day I just roll up a blunt and it feels good.

KALIN: Do you think weed should be legal? I don't see how they can allow cigarettes that kill people and alcohol that kills people and not legalize weed.

REEF: I said it on my last record on a song called “I Wonder.” In so many words I basically said I don't understand how alcohol can be legal, people can buy guns, get these over the counter medications, but weed is still illegal. I find that ridiculous. I think that in a few years we're going to find that a lot of states are going to be overturning that. I was just out in Cali and it's becoming legal out there. It's a whole new vibe to be able to go out and get your weed and not worry about it. It just relaxes peoples minds. You go into a room full of people smoking weed and there is not a lot going on. That's what it is.

KALIN: With you being an underground artist, the way I see it is that when you go to a show that you're putting on everyone is all up on you and telling you how great you are, but then the next day you can walk down the street and nobody recognize you. What's it like to have both sides of that equation?

REEF: I can go overseas and play a show for ten thousand people and then come back home and nobody knows who I am. A part of me enjoys it, but a part of me also feels like I want that recognition. I go to a show in Philly and everyone is loving me and then I go to another show with a different type of vibe and people don't know who I am. I often struggle with it. Sometimes I think it's a blessing and sometimes I think it's a curse. I don't necessarily ever want the level of fame to where I can't walk down the street. I would never want that. Ever. I'm happy where I'm at man.

KALIN: Before I let you go, a lot of my readers are actually fans of MMA and might not know who you are. Drop us a quick freestyle to introduce yourself to those out there who aren't familiar with your style.

REEF: Word up. Shout out to all of yall, they call me Reef The Lost Cauze, what can I say, shout out to the MMA. We be fightin and lightnin, it's exictin when I'm writin, MC's know I'm like the Clash of the Titans. They know I come through spittin that rage and if they fuck around they goin get beat down like Rampage. Or Kimbo, yo remember, Reef the Lost Cauze, Fight Music, go get those. Go get that CD, Fight Music, June 8th, Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment